Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Lighting Spree

I went on an overnight light-fixture feeding frenzy ordering the lighting for the entryway and stairwell.




Here is a picture of how the entryway looked when the previous owners lived here, and also how it looked empty:



















...................and here it is now, except that i moved that big ship to a different room. It is much more spacious with out the boat parked there.
























You can see the old paper-shade-dangley-light fixture that came with the house. I kinda like paper shades, but we have way too many of them here, and I think the new fixture will be better.
Here is what I picked out for the entryway:
I chose this one because the black lines of the metal remind me of the painting hanging in the space. It is an original oil painting that we bought for our 8th wedding anniversary from an artist in Dayton, Ohio. I love it because it is reminiscent of Byzantine or Eastern Orthodox religious icon, but it is a totally modern take on the classical theme of angels. They look both watchful and melancholy with those big eyes that also remind me of those cheezy big-eye-kid paintings from the 60's. The other reason I like this fixture is that it is complementary to the one i have chosen for the stairwell to replace the even bigger paper-shade pendant there:




















No comments: