Monday, May 12, 2008

The Devil is in the Details

I have ordered new light fixtures, toilet paper holder and towel bar, and am searching for someone to install a pocket door so I can finish up the bathroom renovation. In the meantime, I will trim off the bottom of the old door so I can rehang it. I bought a new circular saw at Lowe's - - - a Black & Decker battery-powered one. The rechargeable battery can be used in a bunch of other Black & Decker tools, including a weed-whacker I bought at the same time.

Speaking of weed-whacking, I am going to need to bust a move outside in the gardens. After sitting empy for a year, the plants here are pretty overgrown and somwhat weedy to boot. So while I wait for the stuff to finish up the last details of the bathroom, I will try to make a dent in the garden. This weekend I transplanted a bunch of the perennials, and weeded out some that were spreading out everywhere they shouldn't be. Some of them were moving from the garden spaces into the driveway, and all the tallest stuff had moved to the fronts of the beds. Today was rainy, so I bought some flats of impatiens, ajuga, and petunias that i will put out tomorrow. It is dark out now, so i will have to wait until then anyway to take a couple pictures.

I want to plant some tomatoes and herbs in a sunny spot in the backyard, but i will get someone to cut down one of the trees first. It is right in the way of the view out the back windows, way too close to the house. There wouldn't be much left if we tried to prune it back, so I am thinking it will just be better to cut it down. I will call my landscaping guy and have him tell me what he thinks we should do.

I also have some carrot seeds that i bought in Japan. The Japanese carrots (and NO that is not me in the Japanese carrot video) are so wonderful - short and very fat compared to the ones we get here, and SO delicious. They are so fat you can actually make musical instruments with them, for crying out loud. I am not sure if they will grow in this climate, but it will be fun to give it a try. I am hoping the rabbits I have seen out in the backyard won't eat the tops off - - - might have to frame them up and cover them.

No comments: