Monday, March 17, 2008

The walls are DONE.


Today I painted the walls. It took a lot of coats, but it is finally done. We (I) used a metallic paint that was the lightest silvery shade they had. It is a Ralph Lauren color from Home Depot.
I guess that little circular shape on the wall is a reflection of the flash, because I don't see that on the wall when I look at it. Tomorrow I will seal the tile so I can grout it.







I also put down the first layer of leveling compound on the floor. There is one corner that was lower than the others when I moved the ladder around the room. Here is the box of the stuff I used. When you mix this up, you need to be ready to spread it right away. It sets up in about 20 minutes, and I am not kidding. The first time I ever used any of this, it seemed similar to grout, and I mixed it and then started sweeping the floor I was planning to patch. By the time I was finished sweeping, the compound was solid, with the stirring stick stuck standing straight up. I had to throw away the whole bucket. Here is the floor area I patched, taken about 2 hours after I spread it out. I may need to add one more layer. It is better to do two or three layers, rather than try to do it all in one shot, since it will get sort of "wavy" on the top if it is too thick. There are a couple lumps on the surface, so I will need to smooth it out a bit even if it doesn't require another coat.









In the last post I mentioned that the strips of marble turned out to be very easy to cut. Here is a picture of my tile nippers and a piece of the marble. These nippers are nice new ones that are quite sharp, so it was really easy to snap these into smaller pieces to fill in the ends of the rows of tile sheets.


















No comments: